Zain’s Summer Strawberry Turnover (Sweet Ricotta Filling)
No I am not kidding…this lacto-ovo vegetarian recipe for strawberry turnovers will not only give you a pre-workout boost, it will also help you achieve that lean, tight physique.
This is one of my favourite clean, pre-workout snacks. Looks fabulous right? It is! Even the images look seriously sinful but this recipe reminds me of how delicious it can be to live a healthy lifestyle so what do you say, can we leave those fatty toaster strudels in the dust?
For more fat-torching, clean-eating recipes, click here.
8 Organic Egg Whites (I use farm fresh eggs)
1/4 Scoop Vanilla Whey Protein Powder OR Vegan Protein Powder + 1/8 tsp Organic Natural Vanilla
1/4 Tsp Baking Powder
7-10 Drops Liquid Stevia (divided) OR Sweetener of Your Choice (I use Sweet Leaf Vanilla Creme Liquid Stevia 7 drops)
3/4 Cup Organic Strawberries (sliced)
70g Low-Fat Ricotta Cheese OR Low-Fat Cottage Cheese (I use Ricotta)
11/2 Tbsp Non-Fat Cream Cheese
1 Tbsp Unsweetened Strawberry Jam
1/2 Tbsp Honey, Agave, OR Stevia (I use Sweet Leave Vanilla Creme Liquid Stevia 5 drops)
1/4 Tsp Extra Virgin Coconut Oil OR Canola Cooking Spray
Optional Toppings: 1/2 Tbsp Agave, Maple Syrup OR Honey, Pistachios, Slivered Almonds, Hemp Seeds, Chia Seeds, Cinnamon, Granola, Nut Butters
1. Blend egg whites, protein, baking powder and 5-7 drops stevia in magic bullet or food processor until smooth and frothy
2. Heat skillet and melt coconut oil or grease with cooking spray
3. Pour egg white batter on the skillet and heat on medium heat until bubbles begin to form
4. Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix ricotta, cream cheese, strawberry jam and sweetener of your choice until well combined and put in the freezer
5. Flip the egg white crepe (this is when I slice the strawberries) and cook until golden on both sides
6. Remove the crepe from pan and spread cooled ricotta mixture evenly over the surface
7. Fold into quarters and top with fresh strawberries and any additional toppings