Eating Clean on the Road: Part Deux - ‘Survival of the Fittest’
I am in the tiniest town known to man. There is one gas station and a greasy diner and I haven’t seen this many stars for years. The sky is so dark that the moon illuminates with coloured rings, strangers wave to us and kids actually still run through sprinklers.
It is majestic. Today we are going to a huge festival on the top of a sacred mountain. There will be music, drumming, devotion and meals cooked with food grown from an organic garden.
I have received tons of messages from my fellow fitblrs about eating clean whilst travelling after my last post and I am so happy to hear that my tips are proving useful for you. There was practically a time when I lived on the road and have thus learned the ins and outs of what I like to call ‘survival of the fittest’ which basically means clean living on the road.
If you are travelling to a place where you have access to electricity, I would advise that you bring the following, which incidentally fit perfectly into a suitcase or bag (I normally stow these things in a carry on when flying):
- Magic Bullet (or mini blender)
- Mini Foreman Grill (it’s basically the size of a loaf of bread)
- Food Scale (plug in or battery operated)
- Egg Whites
- Flax Seeds
- Pumpkin Pie Spices
- Cooking Spray
Blend all ingredients and pour onto a grill, cook until golden on both sides.
*Note, I have kept it simple by taking out the fresh ginger and vanilla and rather than using cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, I have just brought pumpkin pie spice which is a combination of all three and tastes great! I have also opted for carton egg whites rather than my usual farm fresh egg whites
Other awesome ‘Survival of the Fittest’ breakfasts on the road:
- 3/4 Cup Oatmeal + 1/2 Cup Fruit + 1 Scoop Protein Powder
- Whole Grain Tortilla + 1 Tbsp Nut Butter + 1 Banana + 1 Scoop Protein Powder in Iced Coffee
- Protein Pancakes - Egg Whites + Oats + Flax Seeds (grilled)
- Egg White Omelet - Egg Whites + Spinach + Baby Tomato (microwaved) + 2 Brown Rice Cakes
- Canned BPA free Salmon + Whole Grain Tortilla + Veggies (rolled up)
- Greek Yogurt + 1/2 Cup Fruit + Oats + 1 Tbsp Raw Nuts