The Power of Raw Cacao
As you all know, I am a huge fan and believer of the benefits of raw chocolate. I eat raw cacao in some form each and every day and have noticed a greater level of overall health and wellness [and happiness], which I attribute to my spiritual health, diet, active lifestyle and regular consumption of raw cacao and other superfoods.
For one of my most loved recipes, Zain’s Raw Brownies click here.
Unlike processed dark chocolate, antioxidants are preserved in raw cacao. Read below for the plethora of benefits and if you are still consuming processed chocolate, I encourage you to switch from your regular Dutch processed cocoa powder to raw cacao for a period of time and monitor how you feel. Chances are you will NEVER want to switch back!
Benefits of Raw Cacao:
- much higher levels of the famous chocolate antioxidants (oligomeric procynanidins, resveratrol and the polyphenols: catechin and epicatechin) as well as the preservation of vitamin C, phenethylamine (PEA, the feel good neurotransmitter responsible for the feeling of love!),
- Omega 6 fatty acids (which when heated become rancid and cause inflammation), tryptophan (a commonly deficient amino acid in those who consume a diet of mostly cooked food) and serotonin.
- Cacao is the highest whole food source of magnesium, which also happens to be the most deficient mineral in the diet of modern cultures. Magnesium relaxes muscles, improves peristalsis in the bowels and relaxes the heart and cardiovascular system.
- The dark chocolate antioxidants have been clinically proven to literally dissolve plaque built up in the arteries which helps in reversing heart disease and causes naturally lower blood pressure.
- Also, various other vitamins and minerals in raw cacao benefits the cardiovascular system.
The nutrient density of raw cacao benefits every function of the body. One of the many cool facts about chocolate is that it is the highest source of magnesium and chromium of any food! Magnesium is the most deficient mineral in the average human. All of the compounds found in raw cacao benefits longevity in humans.
~Vitamin B (1, 2, 3, 5 and 6)
~Omega 6 Fatty Acids
~Soluble Fiber (which is the type people need more of)
~Enzymes (including catalase, lipase and amylase)
~Other Beneficial Phytonutrients
Chia The Ancient Superfood
1 Serving = 10g
****Check out my new invention****
Try using Chia in My Breakfast Staple Pancakes in place of Flax Seeds:
This morning’s pancakes included:
7.5 Tbsp Egg Whites
3/4 Cup Slow Cooked Oats
10g Organic Chia Seeds
Topped with 2 Tbsp Sugar-Free Syrup
1. Pre-heat non-stick frying pan and coat with cooking spray.
2. In a blender or magic bullet, blend oats, chia seeds and egg whites until the batter becomes frothy.
3. Pour batter into pan and let cook for 3-4 minutes before flipping (the cooked part should be golden in colour).
4. Cook on flip side for another 2 minutes, remove from heat and serve hot with sugar free syrup or top with fresh fruit, nut butters or anything else your heart desires. Can be eaten as a pancake or folded into a crepe.
* These are a fantastic breakfast option when traveling as they cook amazingly well on the george forman grill*
* Top with fresh fruit, nut butters, sugar-free jams or syrups *
They were delicious!
Top 10 Reasons for Eating Chia Seeds:
(from my chiaseeds.com)
1. Great for Weight Loss without Starving
2. Balance Blood Sugar
3. Ensures Regularity and Prevents Diverticulosis
4. Add Healthy Omega 3’s to your Diet
5. Feel More Energized
6. Bake with Less Fat
7. Add Age Defying Anti-Oxidents
8. Cut Cravings for Food
9. Great Flavour
10. Cost Effective Source of Nutrients
Sugar-Free Syrup 1 serving = 1 Tbsp *Try to have no more than 2-3 Tbsp per day This ingredient is so versatile, use it on your clean breakfasts, for baking, salad dressings, marinade it makes everything taste incredible.
Mmmmm Nut Butters Almond, Cashew, Peanut, Sunflower Seed, Macadamian Nut 1 Serving = 1/2 Tbsp Nut Butters are ideal sources of healthy fats, use them in your oats, sprouted toast, pancakes, clean baking, cooking, shakes and smoothies, and as a topping for fruit.
Sugar-free jam 1 serving = 1 Tbsp These are the perfect accompaniment to pancakes, waffles, yogurt parfaits, clean desserts and smoothies!! Stock up on flavours to give yourself lots of options and scrumptify your clean meals!