I spent my day on set, shooting for a very special upcoming project that I am working on…more details to come soon!
It was a long and exhausting day but I felt fuelled by my passion and of course by my humungous cooler that I had stashed in my car. When it comes to long days that I know are going to require a ton of energy, I am so grateful to have the knowledge and understanding of how to truly care for my body through proper hydration, nutrition and grounding wherever necessary.
This was not always the case. I have spent years as a performer in my life and I never really understood how to take proper care of myself. I would go for hours without food and put my needs second to the task at hand. Overtime, I would become moody, inflexible and frankly, I’d turn into Super Bitch. This reflected in my work and eventually led to fatigue to the point where performing itself became an arduous task because it was associated with feeling depleted rather than nourished and fulfilled.
I cannot stress how important it is for you to learn to understand your own rhythm and listen to the needs of your body so that you can prepare accordingly.
Take a moment to think about what you do in your daily life with work or school and see if there is one simple change that you can make to better support yourself in a healthier way.
Perhaps it may be packing an extra snack or leaving 15 minutes early so that you are not frantically rushing to get somewhere. Changing one simple habit may not seem like much but over time, it can make a HUGE difference in your life.
Be A Warrior
One of the most valuable lessons that I have learned (finally) is to learn to be a Warrior.
What does that mean? Well for me, being a Warrior is someone who lives with honour, courage and makes choices based on what she believes is in the highest truth.
It also means dawning your armour, daily. My armour is taking care of my health through consuming nutrient rich, bioavailable whole foods, training vigourously several times a week to build my physical strength, my meditation practice and prayer to build my spiritual strength, my yoga practice and energy healing to build my energetic strength and surrounding myself with a battalion of people who love me unconditionally and support my cause.
It’s no secret that life is hard. It’s no secret that maintaining a positive attitude and practicing gratitude can be challenging, especially when you are connected and sense all of the chaos, injustice and suffering around you but worrying about it does nothing to serve yourself or to serve the world.
What are the demons you are battling with right now?
Why are you holding on so tightly to them? Do they define you?
What/who is holding you back from living your highest truth?
Zain’s Find Your Warrior Spirit Practice
1. Sit tall, spine erect, eyes closed.
2. As you breathe, experience the fire in the core of your body or solar plexus (3rd chakra). Allow that fire to burn brighter with each inhale as it begins to spread into all of the energetic regions of your body.
3. Bring to mind something you are working to overcome. This could be anything that you are battling against, a fear, a worry, a circumstance. Place this ‘thing’ upon your third eye chakra (in the center of your forehead between your eyebrows) and notice the light all around it. Now breathe the fire up from your core into your third eye space and watch as this fear, worry, circumstance burns. Experience the strength of your heart.
4. You are no longer captive by this. Feel the freedom.
5. Breathe out any remaining residue of ash.
6. Now in your minds eye, take hold of a peaceful weapon. This could be a word, the image of a friend, a symbol, an image of the Divine etc. Place this into your third eye and allow the image to bring a sense of calm into your body.
7. Take a few moments to rest and integrate before opening your eyes.
Classical Yoga Sequence
5 Rounds Sun Salutation A
Warrior I Virabhadrasana I - Stand with your feet 3 ft distance, back toes point in at 45 degrees, front toes straight, right knee bent and over your ankle, spine straight, hands in prayer above your head, gaze up toward your thumbs. Draw energy from the earth and sky, feel the power in your heart as it opens. BREATH 20-25 BREATHS (repeat opposite side)
Warrior II Virabhadrasana II - Stand with your feet 4ft apart, back toes 45 degrees, front toes pont straight, knee bent over ankle, tuck in your tailbone, spine long arms stretched out at a right angle, gaze is over your middle finger of the front hand. Feel the power of your third chakra and core and you drawn energy from the earth. BREATHE 20-25 BREATHS (repeat opposite side)
Warrior III Virabhadrasana III - Stand on one leg bringing the other to 90 degrees so that you are standing in an L shape balancing on one leg. Your back leg (the one floating) and your spine should be level, ensure that your hips are level by placing your hand on your sacrum. Stretch your arms out in prayer in front of your body, gaze toward the earth. Feel the balance deep within your root chakra and the energy building in your sacral chakra as you breath. Draw balancing energy from the earth. BREATH 10-15 BREATHS (repeat on the opposite side)
Take a moment to stand in Mountain Pose and feel the strength and courage in your heart. Feel the truth in your throat and balance in your feet as they root into the earth. You are a Warrior.
Rest in Child’s Pose then take a 5 minute Savasana
Start to cultivate your inner Warrior with these practices. We need to prepare ourselves and develop true strength not fear based strength so that we can truly guide ourselves to a place of health, balance and then share our gifts and purposes to serve others.
I know this is a deep one. Message, tweet, facebook me if you have any questions.
Ever heard of that saying ‘plan to prepare or prepare to fail!’ When it comes to transforming your lifestyle, I would have to say that planning has to be your numero uno priority.
This is an example of a food prep done by my friend and fellow Eat Clean Diet Ambassador Padme Armadala who is a passionate clean, recipe chef in her own right and always posts picture of my recipes looking fabulous.
I wanted to share this beautiful photo of her food prep so that you can see how much effort actually goes into eating clean, especially if you have a busy life! Knowing what you are going to be eating and snacking on throughout the day can make all of the difference in helping you achieve your goals.
It may look daunting but once you get your groove on, you’ll leave your Louis Vuitton behind in place of some BPA-free tupperware & a insulated cooler bag…ok maybe not that far…one on each arm?
100 Reasons to Exercise Now!!
- Because it makes you feel confident
- Because it helps you get stronger
- Because exercise helps combat depression
- Because you’ll feel proud of yourself
- Because you have goals you want to reach
- Because you’ll feel bad if you don’t
- Because you want to move forward, not backward
- Because it burns more calories than not working out
- Because it improves your heart health
- Because you want a great butt
- Because it prevents diabetes
- Because you want to be a good example to your kids
- Because you want to feel good in your clothes
- Because it reduces your risk of cancer
- Because your body was made to move
- Because you want to be an athlete
- Because you want to look better
- Because it lifts your mood
- Because you want to stand taller
- Because it reduces back pain
- Because it feels good
- Because it makes you feel accomplished
- Because you spend most of your day on your butt
- Because swimsuit season is always coming
- Because strong is the new skinny
- Because dieting only works so much
- Because it strengthens your bones, too
- Because it helps you lose weight
- Because it allows you to eat more food
- Because it’s the best way to spend “me” time
- Because it helps you de-stress
- Because it’s cheaper than therapy
- Because you want a strong core
- Because you want to take care for yourself
- Because you take pride in your body
- Because it strengthens your legs
- Because it helps your clothes fit better
- Because you want to push yourself
- Because you are capable of more than you ever imagined
- Because moving your body feels good
- Because it keeps your mind sharp
- Because it helps you beat belly bloat
- Because it helps you sleep better at night
- Because it gives you energy
- Because you want to stay healthy as you age
- Because you want to look younger
- Because you want toned arms
- Because it improves your balance
- Because it burns off last night’s dessert
- Because it boosts your immune system
- Because sweat is sexy
- Because you want to live longer
- Because you want to get better at your game
- Because you want to catch someone’s eye
- Because exercisers earn more money
- Because you’re more likely to eat better when you exercise
- Because you want to shave time off your running pace
- Because you want to breathe easier
- Because you want to see the scale drop
- Because exercise improves your sex life
- Because you are worth it
- Because being fit makes everything in life better
- Because you promised yourself that you would
- Because you deserve a better life
- Because it’ll help you drink more water
- Because you want to do real push-ups
- Because it reduces your health care costs
- Because you’ll miss fewer days of work
- Because you want to create a new future for yourself
- Because it’ll help you like what you see in the mirror
- Because it makes clothing shopping more fun
- Because you want to look and feel incredible
- Because exercising can be fun
- Because it’ll give your skin a glow
- Because it’s a good way to spend time with your friends
- Because it’ll help you prevent the middle-age spread
- Because it reduces your blood pressure
- Because you don’t want to let yourself go
- Because you don’t want to squeeze into an airplane or rollercoaster seat
- Because it strengthens your spirit
- Because it’s a cheap way to entertain yourself
- Because you’ll be able to reward yourself
- Because you need a reason to wear those new workout clothes
- Because you’re tired of being tired
- Because not working out is not going to get you very far
- Because it’s a great way to spend time outside
- Because you made a commitment to yourself
- Because you’re tired of starting over
- Because there will always be another wedding, vacation or reunion
- Because you’re not a quitter
- Because it improves your cholesterol
- Because it boosts your metabolism
- Because it prevents age-related muscle loss
- Because if you can do this, you can do anything
- Because a fit body is a healthy body
- Because it beats sitting on the couch
- Because everyone has at least 10 minutes to spare
- Because you want to be stronger than your excuses
- Because not working out isn’t working out for you
- Because the only workout you ever regret is the one you skip
Which reason resonates with you?
(source: sparkpeople.com, image: weheartit)
My yoga practice is one of the foundations of my day, everyday. Yoga brings me right back to my heart and my center and it always has a way of revealing to me the exact message that I need to hear…it is the way that my heart and body communicates with me and through these messages I have learned what my own definition of balance is.
Although yoga classes are incredible and there is nothing more inspiring to me than being in a room full of people who are working to better themselves, I like to practice at least a couple times per week on my own at home.
Doing so enables me to go super deep and listen to exactly what my body and breath are telling me to do.
For those of you who have not had the chance to try a home practice, this chart may provide some guidance for you so that you can create your own flow.
I like to create a sacred space in my home, somewhere with natural light and I cleanse the space with sage or incense.
It’s amazing the intensity of information that begins to pour out of you when its just you, your breath and your practice. Make it special, make it yours.
“Every accomplishment begins with a decision to try.”
What is it that you want for yourself? Say it out loud.
I CAN’T HEAR YOU!!
How did that feel?
There is always a certain power and energy behind the first day of a new week and month.
As a coach and someone who has been through the ups and downs of starting over and starting fresh more times than I want to count, I understand the importance of making a commitment to yourself and how difficult and intimidating starting over can be.
Let me tell you something that I learned, something that changed everything for me…
You have the freedom to create a healthy lifestyle that you actually enjoy.
Enlightening right? I know.
I used to think that I had to really push and punish and be strict with myself to feel and look the way that I wanted. What I noticed was how the restrictive, punishing way..the way I thought was the right path to my goal backfired on me over and over again.
Sound familiar? Why not try something different this time?
When it comes to creating a healthy lifestyle you love starting today, here are somethings to consider:
- Eat healthy foods that you LOVE! Take time to shop and prepare delicious meals that you look forward to. Use yummy foods like fruits, healthy fats and high quality proteins and whole carbs to craft things that really nourish your body…and YES this can include sweet things too!
- Take the time to rest and sleep early. This makes all the difference. Tuck into bed with a good book and then set a decent time for lights out. You will start to crave your rest and before you know it, your mind and body will begin to feel energized and relaxed.
- Choose a training program that makes you feel good!! Stay away from the tortuous, brutal training sessions that you hate because chances are you body will resist them too and you will fall right off the wagon quickly. Mix it up! Try classes, running, weight training and cross training.
- Spend time with your spirit whether it be through yoga, meditation, walks with your besties, music, good books and time with nature.
My invitation is for you to start fresh, start today! Harness the power of this new fresh month and week to fuel you. Use every single day this month as an opportunity to create the healthy life you have always wanted and you will come to learn that you will never have to ‘start over’ again.