For those of you in Metro Vancouver come check out my next yoga & nutrition workshop at Lululemon West 4th on November 4th 7-8:30pm.
Hope to see you there!
Zain’s Baked Vegan Apple Pie Oatmeal
Pie for breakfast? You better believe it! How else do you think I get myself out of bed on a cold, rainy autumn Monday?
Let me introduce you to my special little friend: this pot of healthy goodness will not only accelerate your physical goals keeping you energetic, lean and balanced, it will nourish your soul and give you permission to breakaway from that lame & same breakfast that you kinda wish would magically metamorphisize into well, apple pie.
1/2 Cup Organic Slow Cook Uncontaminated Oats
1 Organic Apple (chopped)
1/4 Cup Apple Butter OR 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp All Spice
1/4 Tsp Natural Vanilla
1 Tsp Organic Almond Butter
1/2 Tsp Fresh Ginger (minced)
5-10 Drops Vanilla Creme Stevia OR 11/2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
1/8 Cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (increase to 1/4 cup if using stovetop)
1 Tbsp Organic Walnuts
Dollup of Coconut Oil
1/2 Tbsp Maple Syrup & Walnuts to Top (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine raw oats, spices, apple butter/applesauce, vanilla, stevia/syrup and almond milk.
3. Pour into a greased baking dish
4. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until it gets firm.
5. Increase oven temp to broil for 3 minutes or until desired crispiness is obtained.
6. Remove from oven and top with organic maple syrup and raw walnuts if desired.
Zain’s Homemade Vegan Pumpkin Soup
It really feels like autumn in my home after a trip to the pumpkin patch and my first autumnesque recipe. This one is an oldie but oh such a goodie and is delicious served as a soup or over a bed of wild rice or quinoa.
So fire up the oven and get your sugar pumpkins roasting because this soup will fill you with all of the warmth and coziness of the season.
3 Cups Sugar Pumpkin (roasted) OR BPA-Free Organic Canned
1 Yam (roasted or boiled & peeled)
1/2 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
2 Cups Organic Sodium-Free OR Homemade Vegetable Broth
1/2 Cup BPA-Free Organic Low-Fat Coconut Milk
1 Tbsp Coconut Butter
2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
1” Fresh Ginger (minced)
1/2 Onion (sliced)
1/2 - 1 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Curry Powder
Dash of Braggs
Himalayan Crystal Salt & Ground Pepper To Taste
1. If roasting pumpkin and yam, preheat oven to 400F and roast until soft.
2. Melt coconut butter in a pan and sautee onions, garlic & ginger.
3. In a blender or Vitamix, puree all ingredients until smooth and heat in a saucepan if you require. Top with fresh herbs, pumpkin seeds, coconut cream, slivered almonds etc.
***You may also add all ingredients to your crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours then blend :D
My favourite way to spend an autumn Sunday…choosing pumpkins for my first pie of the season!
Autumn has always been one of my favourite times of year, time to ground, nest and go inward. With the change of seasons comes a change in foods we crave, root vegetables like pumpkins, yams, beets, fennel, turnips and warming spices such as cinnamon and ginger. It is during the change in season where we realize the incredible intelligence of the body and how our bodies know what we need to strengthen our immune systems and help us with the transition into cooler weather.
For those of you working on intuitive eating, autumn is a wonderful time to explore and trust what your body is telling you. Start by paying attention to the foods you are craving and then explore new recipes and ways to add these foods into your day.
For instance I love pumpkins, especially during this time of year so rather than just my regular pancakes or oatmeal for breakfast, I like to enjoy my pumpkin pie pancakes or pumpkin oatmeal!
What are some of your favourite ways to get creative with seasonal foods?
You Know When You’re Ready
One of the challenges about doing what I do is that it is really hard not to put pressure on the ones I love and force change upon them when it comes to their lifestyles, eating habits and exercise.
Sometimes the urge is so intense I want to shake them and ask what the heck are you thinking??
As hard as it is to see and live with sometimes bearing witness to the fact that they are they are run down, carrying excess weight or toxicity because they haven’t taken care of themselves is frustrating to say the least but I have learned that all I can really do is live by example until the point when they are ready to make a lasting change and then I swoop in like a mo-fo…
I was amazed and overjoyed when my partner came to me when I arrived back from Europe telling me he was finally ready to make a change. As a young company owner, his time is precious and he has often sacrificed himself for the cause. The great thing is that he trains regularly, eats fairly healthy and always has so that was a big bonus. He said he wanted to lean down, feel more energetic and just nourish himself with better food.
Since Monday, I have put him on one of my meal plans. What does that mean? Well, his calories have tripled, he is eating far more protein and consuming meals every 2-3 hours. He has gone from drinking nearly no water to a minimum of 3 litres a day and I have him taking a few of my favourite supplements. He is eating all 100% whole food, nothing from a package and is completely satisfied after ever meal. Aside from the changes to his diet, NOTHING ELSE HAS CHANGED. He is training just as much as he used to.
In 5 days, the man has lost 6lbs, 9 inches from all over his body and hasn’t crashed out midday for a nap like he used to have to do. He is more confident and last night, this pair of pants that he has held onto for a couple years that didn’t fit, slipped up and buckled on effortlessly!
Its amazing what a simple change and a little guidance can do.
Are you looking to make a change in your life? For more information on my Private Coaching and Custom Meal Plans where there is absolutely NO DEPRIVATION and 100% support, check out my website and feel free to connect with me, I’d love to hear from you!
Zain’s Detox Salad!
Cleanse out your system and purify your blood with this delicious vegan summer salad.
1/2 Red Cabbage (shaved)
1/4 White Cabbage (shaved)
1/2 Bartlett Pear (sliced thin)
3/4 Cup Cauliflower (lightly steamed)
3/4 Cup Chard (lightly steamed)
1 Tbsp Walnuts
3-5 Sprigs Thyme
3-5 Sprigs Tarragon
2 Tbsp Raw Unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tbsp Miso
1/4 Tsp Braggs Aminos
1” Fresh Ginger
Ground White Pepper
#health #nutrition #vegan #detox #eatclean #zainsaraswatijamalrecipes #cauliflower #cabbage #probiotic #bioavailable
Zain’s Vegan Lemon, Coconut & Chia Pancakes
Nothing quite beats a weekend up at the lake and where we usually stay, the cabin is equipped with old kettles, bone china and my favourite: cast-iron pans which add a whole new dimension to my morning pancakes.
Normally, I am all about the chocolate/banana/peanut butter situation in the mornings but waking up to the lake and forest, inspired something fresher and lighter.
These super simple vegan pancakes can be enjoyed hot off the grill or can be packed as a perfect snack to take onto the lake or in your pack for a hike :)
3/4 Cup Gluten-Free Slow Cook Oats
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
1/4 Cup Light Coconut Milk
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
Stevia To Taste (I use about 1/8 tsp)
1/2 Tbsp Coconut Butter
1 Tbsp Unsweetened Coconut Ribbon/Flakes
1 Chia Egg – (1/2 Tbsp Chia Seeds + 1.5 Tbsp Water, set aside for 3-5 minutes)
1 Scoop Vegan Protein Powder of your choice (I use SUNWARRIOR VANILLA)
1. If using ‘chia egg’ combine chia in water an set aside
2. Mix dry ingredients together until combined
3. Add all wet ingredients including ‘chia egg’ to the dry ingredients (add a little water if the batter is too thick to obtain the consistency you desire)
4. Heat skillet (I like to grease with a bit of coconut oil) and pour 1/2 pancake batter onto the grill. Heat for two to three minutes or until edges are golden then flip. Repeat with the remaining half of the batter and cook until pancakes are golden on both sides.
5. Top with organic maple syrup, fresh fruit, nut butters or fresh fruit unsweetened jams.
Nourish yourself with one of my Balance Bowls!
1. Start with your choice of granola —> http://www.zainsaraswatijamal.com/2012/06/12/zains-the-best-granola-i-have-ever-made-in-my-life-reicpe-5-different-flavours/
2. Next add your choice of nut milk I love homemade cashew milk, get my recipe here —> http://evepostapple.tumblr.com/post/54191143554/zains-homemade-cashew-milk-making-your-own
3. Then add your choice of fresh fruit
4. Followed by some healthy fat, according to your daily intake (which is different for each person). My favourites include: nut butter, chia seeds, flaxseeds, raw nuts, hemp, fresh coconut, avocado or raw oil
5. You may choose to add a raw vegan protein of your choice, I use @Sunwarrior
6. Lastly, sweeten/spice to taste (optional) some of my faves are vanilla bean, cinnamon, fresh ginger, vanilla creme stevia, raw manuka honey, or maple syrup
#lovefood ❤ #zainsaraswatijamalrecipes