This little guy looks like he needs to dive right into Zain’s White Hot Chocolate ;)
Zain’s Chocolate Bread
It’s to die for! I knew I was onto something when I decided to turn a few of my left over raw brownies (I made a ton of them) into a warm loaf of bread but man I did not think that this would be so delicious.
1 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour OR (or gluten-free flour of your choice)
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1/3 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk (I used my own homemade)
2 Heaping Tbsp Cacao Powder
1/4 Cup Sugar-Free/Unsweetened Chocolate Chips, Divided (OR your choice of vegan or carob chips)
1 Whole Egg (or 1/4 cup Almond Milk + 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar, let stand for 3 mins)
3 Zain’s Raw Brownies (I used about 3 mashed brownies, or blend 4 soaked dates with 3 tbsp cacao and 1/2 tsp unflavoured coconut oil)
1/8 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
1/2 Tsp Unflavoured Coconut Oil
2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar (or sweetener of your choice, liquid stevia would work well here)
1/4 Cup Walnuts OR Hazelnuts Chopped (optional)
Pinch Himalayan Crystal Salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well
3. Mash in brownies or substitute mixture, combine and then add half the chocolate chips and all of the remaining wet ingredients. Mix very well until a thick batter forms
4. Pour or spoon into a sprayed 9x5 loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
5. Sprinkle on remaining chocolate chips and allow to cool on wire rack for at least 30 minutes
*enjoy with nut butters (I used hazelnut….nom nom ferraro rochet bread), spreads and/or dipped in a tall glass of ice cold milk of your choice.
Dinner with Friends
Yesterday evening, I hosted dinner at my place for two of our very close friends. It was the perfect end to a relaxing day because for me, there is nothing that I enjoy more than cooking a delicious, fragrant meal to enjoy with my fiancee and friends.
The smells and creativity that go into my meals make me feel like an artist at work. I truly thrive on creating this way and the best part is that all of the dishes are clean and work perfectly within my plan.
I had lots of exciting news to share with them (will be sharing with you soon), and they loved the authentic Thai meal that I prepared for them. On the menu?
Zain’s Clean Thai Green Curry and Coconut Rice
Zain’s Chilli and Lime Baked Tofu with Homemade Peanut Sauce
Zain’s Thai Papaya Salad
and for dessert,
Zain’s Clean Vanilla Pudding with Banana and Hazelnuts
Anyone interested in recipes for these dishes?
Love when Tosca Reno tweets about once of my recipes! Here she was referring to Zain’s Classic Nicoise Salad!
Peanut Butter Protein Balls - By Tiffani Bachus
*These looked amazing, I haven’t had a chance to make them yet but I thought these would make a great treat for Women’s Day! Easy to make and a great clean treat for your best girlfriend!
Ready in 5 minutes • Makes 14 servings
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp dark chocolate chips, I would use unsweetened chocolate chips here
- Mix together all ingredients. Should be the consistency of Play-Doh. Roll into 14 small balls. Refrigerate to firm them up, overnight for best results. Enjoy!
Nutrients per serving (1 ball):
Calories: 84, Total Fats: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 3 mg, Sodium: 28 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 8 g, Dietary Fiber: 1 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 4 g, Iron: 0 mg
Zain’s Clean Coconut French Toast
No I’m not kidding. Yes you can enjoy French Toast while eating clean and getting lean! Check out my signature recipe below:
2 Slices Spouted Grain Bread (I use Mana or Ezekiel Bread, you can also use a gluten-free option)
1/4 Cup Light Coconut Milk
1 Tbsp Raw Unpasteurized Honey OR Sugar-free Syrup
4 Egg Whites
1/4 Tsp Cinnamon
1/8 Tsp Vanilla
1 Tbsp Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
1-2 Stevia/Splenda (optional)
1. In a bowl, whisk egg whites, coconut milk, vanilla and cinnamon
2. Coat bread slices, turning several times in the mixture until the bread is completely coated and heavy
3. Spray pan lightly with cooking spray and cook bread on medium heat until golden and slightly crispy on both sides
4. Top with shredded coconut and honey OR syrup and serve warm
*I often top this with grilled pineapple as well, inspired by my dad’s recipe he served us as kids…nom nom
*Note you may feel like you have died and gone to heaven with this recipe, all I ask is that you use this recipe the next time you are about to reach for an unhealthy snack or when you are about to emotionally eat/binge. This will curb your cravings and satisfy you whilst still providing your body with nutrients and nourishment.
Zain’s Pizza-Style Egg Muffins
I love this recipe! They are easy to make and great snacks to prepare for long days away from the kitchen. I make a ton of them for road trips and will be making a couple batches for my trip this weekend.
* Adapted from Oxygen Magazine (see link for original recipe)
Ready in 40 minutes • Makes 12 servings
- Cooking spray
- 4 Scallions, minced
- 3 oz Black Olives
- 6 Mushrooms
- 1/2 Zucchini, shredded
- 14 Egg whites
- 4 Whole eggs
- 2 Tbsp Pizza Sauce OR Tomato Paste (with 1 clove garlic,1/4 tsp oregano, pinch of salt)
- 4 oz Low Fat Feta Cheese OR 2 Babybel Low-Fat Cheese Shredded
- 5 Sun Dried Tomatoes Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Home Made Pesto (See below)
- Dash sea salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 12-muffin tin with a little cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Combine vegetables in a big bowl. Fill each muffin tin 2/3 full with vegetables.
- Whisk eggs and seasonings along with pesto and pizza sauce in a large mixing bowl.
- Use a 1/3-cup measuring cup to scoop egg mixture and pour slowly into each muffin tin. Egg mixture should fill tin the rest of the way.
- Bake 30 minutes or until muffins have risen and are slightly browned.
Zain’s Home Made Pesto:
1-2 Cloves Roasted Garlic
1 Bunch Basil
1/8 Tsp Brewers Yeast
1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt to Taste
1. Mix all ingredients with mortar and pestal or blend in magic bullet.
Thank you to all of you who have been messaging me over the weekend having participated in my weekend challenge of turning your favourite dessert, snack or recipe CLEAN!!
I have received so many of your amazing and delicious recipe creations and what I have been hearing for the most part is that it was a lot easier than you thought!! It has also been great getting to know some of you better through message and I LOVE how original your ideas have been.
The reward for your effort? Now you can enjoy your favourite recipe anytime and not worry about cheating on your plan.
Because of the success of this challenge, I have decided to make it a regular occurrence at Eve Post Apple, on the second weekend each month - see details below.
Reposted from Thursday Evening:
****Take your favourite dessert or snack recipe and turn clean****
Here are some of my baking principles:
- Use whole and natural ingredients where possible with the exception of Protein Powder
- Swap Unsweetened Applesauce for Oils and Butter
- Swap Honey (1Tbsp = 1 Serving), Stevia/Splenda or Mashed Banana for Sugar
- Use Low Fat Dairy
- Pre-portion servings if making a frozen recipe
***MY RECIPES TO FOLLOW***
My Home Made Granola Recipe:
Granola is one of my all time favourite foods and was one of the first clean recipes that I created. It’s super easy and delicious and there are so many ingredient options to choose from to make it your own.
My Favourite: Peanut Butter and Maple with Raisins (using Peanut Butter as the first ingredient option)
3/4 Cup Oats
1 Tbsp Peanut Butter OR Almond Butter OR 12g Walnuts OR 1 Tbsp Unsalted Cashews
1/2 Tbsp Golden Flax Seeds OR Chia Seeds
1/4 Cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
2 Tbsp Sugar-Free Syrup
(Optional) Stevia/Splenda or 1 Tbsp Honey to taste
(Optional) 25 Raisins or 1Tbsp Dried Cranberries
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl
3. Whisk together all wet ingredients in a separate bowl
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly until coated
5. Spread the mixture onto parchment covered baking tray and bake until golden (about 35-40 minutes)
6. Allow granola to cool and then add dried fruit, serve warm or at room temperature
BYOB: Bring your own Braggs
Great for almost every recipe in place of soy sauce or as a healthy seasoning and awesome to pack if you are going out for sushi due to its low sodium content!